June 11, 2012

Cottage Chic Nightstand Makeover

YAY!  I'm happy to report that after a LONG month and a half apart, the hubby is safely home.  Too bad there is a lot more time apart on the horizon.  But, for now, the little puppy and I are just loving having him home with us.  This weekend was wonderful...just being lazy and hanging out together!

I did manage to squeeze in a few projects though.  I've been busy painting some furniture for some clients.  It's not all fully finished yet, but I'll share pics once it is.  In the meantime, here's a little cottage chic nightstand that recently got a little makeover.  Really, is paint amazing or what?!?!?

 Here's the blah-ness we began with:
 I started by giving it a really good cleaning and then a very sloppy haphazardly painted coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White.
 After the Old White dried (which doesn't take long with ASCP), I dry brushed on a some strokes of Provence and Chateau Gray. 
 
 I then sanded a little bit to blend together slightly.
 Next up, I worked in sections using the wax.  First a section would get a light coat of clear wax, simply applied with an old rag.  Then using a chip brush (because my wax brush needed cleaning), I used the Annie Sloan dark wax and worked it into all the crevices that were created using haphazard brush strokes while applying the paint.  It really does not take much dark wax at all.  This stuff goes a LONG ways.  The clear wax...not so much.  It definitely takes a bit more, but the end result is soooo worth it.  So, after applying the dark wax, I then take the rag with clear wax and basically wipe off the dark wax.  I generally take my rag and go in small circular motions, but I don't really thing there is a right or wrong way to do this.
 The clear wax helps remove the perfect amount of dark wax, but leaves a wonderfully aged, cottage look.  I also changed the handle on this piece.  I had one in my stash that was a loner and it happened to work perfectly.
 Here, you can really see the effects of the various colors and the wax all working together.
 This piece is headed to De'France this afternoon!
Linking up here:

Primitive and Proper





3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this makeover - beautiful layering!

Cassie Bustamante said...

so pretty! the new hardware makes a HUGE difference!!! so much better!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a fresh update!