September 5, 2012

Dining Set Gets a Face Lift

Today was back to business.  Took the little puppy on a run this morning and unpacked some from my trip.  I worked at the thrift store then took both of our vehicles for major exterior cleanings and waxings.  I normally do this myself, but the last few weeks and the upcoming weeks are pretty jam-packed and the vehicles were in desperate need of attention.  I came home and trimmed a couple trees in the front yard and then mowed everything...also in desperate need.  Why is it that the more I do, the more my list grows.  I get to check off mowing, but then as I'm mowing I realize that the yard needs a weed, fertilizer, and ant treatment.  I also need to weed eat, then fix the gutter that fell apart while I was mowing.  Oh, and I also saw multiple bushes that need trimmed (I feel like I just did this last week).  And I need to fix a couple of the lights in the flower bed, and weed the flower bed, and trim the sago palm that sprouts new growth at an insane rate.  I've tried to kill this keeps coming back.  I seriously did everything I mentioned within the last 2 months and now it's time again.  Oh well, I guess that's life.

Tonight I'm sharing a table that I recently worked on for a client.  We were giving this piece an updated look.  Warning: I don't have any fabulous before or after pictures of the entire set because I didn't have anyone to help me haul this beast out to the yard to take a we're working with what we got...okie dokie?  Here's a few before pics and "in-the-works" pics:

 Here's the table with the two additional leaves added in and the top sanded down.  I used my orbital sander with 120 grit and lots of elbow grease.  I had to be careful because this table top was a veneer overlay that was extremely thin.  I was afraid that at any moment I would create a blemish...thankfully, I did not.
 These are the chair frames that go with the table.  In the picture the color looks good, but in actuality they were finished in a whitish, yellowish, goldish finish that was begging to be refreshed.
 My client wanted the table base and the chairs to have a bit of a taupe look, but then darkened up, also with a bit of depth and texture to it.  So, I started with Annie Sloan's Old Ochre and added a bit of some brown acrylic paint to try to darken it slightly.

Here's a super bright picture of a chair with the old ochre on it:
 I then added some dark wax to the chairs using the Annie Sloan soft wax.  I dipped a bit out onto a disposable plate and applied it with a wax brush.
 This picture shows the beginning of the transformation:
 This is the top of the table after I sanded it with a 220 grit paper and then steel wool.  It was stained with Minwax stain in Dark Walnut.  I added three good coats of clear wax.
 Here's the table base after the dark wax was applied.  In person, it gave it a bit of a restoration hardware look.  I was super excited.

 After my client saw everything, they wanted to darken it a bit more.  I was hesitant to continue layering the dark wax, because of the tackiness it would have to it.  So, I opted for dark walnut stain.  I then added 2 coats of dark walnut stain and used a dry rag to wipe it back off slightly.

 Although the pictures don't do it justice, I think it turned out really well.  I absolutely loved the base and the chairs and my client loved the variations you could see in her table top.  The entire piece felt like it had been revived.  We are working on fabric for the chairs now.  Once everything is set up in her home, I'll try to snap a final picture.

Thanks for hanging with me! JUNKtion out!

No comments: