September 25, 2012

Graphite to the Rescue

Okay, it's time to face the facts.  And the fact is that I'm a bad blogger.  Yep, there's no denying it.  I just can't seem to stay consistent with it.  I guess it's just one area where I'm not self disciplined.  I'm plenty self disciplined in many areas of my life.  Blogging, however, is just not one of them.  I have good intentions though...surely that's worth something, right?  I guess I just need to accept the fact that I'm probably going to be an inconsistent blogger.  So goes life!

While I may be an inconsistent blogger, I'm certainly not inconsistent in finishing furniture.  So, I always have plenty to share...it's just a matter of sharing it.  I suppose it's time I share a good lil' makeover.


Here's a couple pieces that I recently worked on for a client:



These were pieces that she wanted to keep because they had been in the family for years, but the golden color and finish were a bit lot outdated. Enter Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Graphite.  What a miracle a couple coats of this stuff can do:


After a light sanding (although it's not really needed with ASCP), 2 coats of Graphite, and a bit of distressing, here's what we had.  This was before waxing.

 This was the perfect color for these pieces.  It added the perfect amount of contrast with the golden base color once it was distressed.  I think it turned out a perfect shade of blackish, greyish, midnight blueish, perfectness.
 My client said this was her new favorite color.  It really gave these pieces new life.  She is painting the walls of the room these are going into a mustard yellow color.  I think it will be a great combination of vintage and modern.

 After sanding the pieces down and applying two coats of wax, there was a perfectly smooth finish with just the right amount of shine.  It's also worth mentioning a thing or two about sanding/waxing the ASCP, especially in regards to certain colors.  I know there are multiple ways of working with this paint.  But, for me, I like to sand prior to waxing.  The first few times you do this, it might be a bit scary.  What happens is that when you sand it COMPLETELY changes the color of the paint.  If you are just sanding a certain area to get a distressed look, you'll probably freak out thinking you've messed the piece up.  This is where the waxing comes in...the wax takes away the dull finish/color-change that the sanded created and revitalizes the paint color back to the intended color, but even sharper.  I'll try to post some pics of what I'm talking about in the near future, but just wanted to give anyone new to Annie Sloan Chalk Paint a heads up about this.



 And here's the crazy girl behind the paintbrush:
Word.
 
 
Linking up here:
 
 
 
Photobucket
 


6 comments:

BD said...

love the gray! and I'm a week behind too on my blog....so no worries!

Tammy said...

I really want to get this color! I love how that changed the whole look of the pieces! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend.

Anonymous said...

I am currently working on a shelf. Interior will be white, the exterior ASCP Graphite. Can't wait to see my result. You did a beautiful job.

KatieBelle said...

LUV the graphite! I'm already decorating those pieces in my mind! ;0

Ivy & Co said...

love this blue!

Rasonda @ East Conolly Cottage said...

Love this and miss your posts! I have been a naughty blogger too, completely understandable.