February 6, 2012

Cozy Little Bed

I just recently finished up a project for a client.  This was a headboard and footboard (and rails).  This piece was an old antique bed and I was nervous to paint it to be honest with you, but it turned out gorgeous!!  Here it is once it was all finished and set up at my client's shop:

Here's the before:
 After giving the entire piece a good sanding to remove the old glossy finish, I used my trusty smart prime on the entire piece.  The inset metal piece did not receive a coat of primer, however.
 I used a dry brush technique so this would not be a heavy coat.

 Here's a close up of the metal piece.  It actually started with more of a greenish gold tone and I greyed it up a bit later.
 Here it is after one coat of grey paint drybrushed on.  This grey was a mix of a darker grey and an antique looking white that I had on hand.
 Here's after two fairly thin coats, that were mostly dry brushed on.
 And here's where I started playing with the metal using white, grey, and black.  I wanted to keep the character of it, but adios the greenish gold.  We also intended to keep a slight distressed look to it for continued character.
 This shows you my technique for glazing.  I used glazed after I had lightly distressed the edges of this piece.  I use a clear glaze and mix acrylic craft paint with it for each project I do.  This allows me many colors of glaze using the same quart.  For this, I simply mixed a bit of glaze (maybe 1/4-1/2 cup) with about 3 or 4 drops of black acrylic paint.  I used a sponge brush to brush it on all crevices.  I start with a pretty heavy coat.
 Using a damp rag, I then wipe the excess glaze off, leaving it in all the nooks and crannies to give it that aged look.  Once the rag leaves behind more glaze than it is taking off, you'll know it's time to rinse your rag.  Some people do this with a dry rag, but I find a damp one allows me more control and consistency.

 I did the same process with the footboard.  Justin had to do a bit of repair work to this piece first.  It had a crack in it, going the width of the entire footboard, so he ended up securing it with three metal plates to hold it together and provide structural support.
 You can see the glazing in the picture below.  You can also see the plates, but they are mostly hidden as they face the inside of the bed and are covered with a mattress.
 And, here's the toned down metal accent piece.
 The entire bed was sealed with 2 coats of Minwax Paste Wax in clear.  Here are some more pictures of it set up in the store for sale.  (Added note: this happened to sell this weekend! YAY).


Now, don't you just want to curl up and snuggle in bed?

I'm linking up at the following:

4 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

that looks gorgeous! i love the color- and those awesome details! and how perfect does it look with vintage bedding with red in it- so awesome!

Elisa said...

Wow it's beautiful - what a transformation!! I'm visiting from home sweet nest. Thanks for sharing!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

This is great! So many beautiful beds, so few bedrooms.....

The Rooster and The Hen said...

So beautiful, I could just curl up! This project would be perfect for our new linky party featuring "Transformations" called Repurpose-Remodel-Reveal, I know our readers would love to see it too! (It starts Friday, March 2nd 2012 at 7:00 am MST and reoccures every 1st and 3rd Friday)

-Whitney @ TheRoosterAndTheHen