April 24, 2012

Baby, Oh Baby!

Howdy Blogland!  Hope you are all off to a great week.  I've been busy getting projects done, working at the Thrift Shop, trying to complete my ever-growing to-do list of home improvement projects, working for clients, trying to get back into my running schedule, and blah, blah, blah...the list goes on.

In the meantime, I'm super excited to show you a custom piece that I just finished for a client.  I originally met this client when she contacted me to buy a piece of furniture that I had listed on Craigslist, but it had just sold moments before.  Unfortunately, this happened between us about three times; so I started contacting her showing her my pieces first before listing them because I wanted her to have first dibs.  By that time, the pieces I had weren't fitting what she was looking for.

She was looking for a dresser to use as a changing table.  Since we couldn't seem to connect with the right pieces at the right time, she found this piece listed on Craigslist and asked me to refinish it for her.  Of course I was thrilled because I love knowing where a piece is going and that it is going into a home where it will be well loved.  I know, I'm a sap!

Here is what it looked like once it was completed.
Here it is in the beginning (minus the drawers):
At first glance I thought it was solid wood.
 
So, I got busy sanding with a 120 grit using my orbital sander.
 It didn't take long to realize that we were dealing with fake wood with a PAPER thin wood overlay on the top.  Seriously, I cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind would make furniture out of anything other than solid wood.  Anyways, I carefully sanded off the top layer, leaving the grain.  The problem with this is you have to be extremely careful not to sand in one place for long or put too much pressure or you will go right through the wood overlay.  You can see here (picture below) in the edges where this happened.  It can be concealed on the edges, but will be a nightmare if it happens in the middle of the piece...then you have this pressed wood area showing through that stands out like a sore thumb once stained.  If this happens, you are pretty much out of luck on making the piece look like you intended.  There's not really a remedy if you sand to far and expose this part.  Luckily, we were safe and that didn't happen.
 I started with a light coat of gray primer on the body.
The body then got two coats of my custom gray mix from Benjamin Moore.
 The top received a dark walnut stain.  I had my fingers crossed that this would take the stain good, and thankfully, it did!
In the meantime, the knobs got sprayed with my go-to knob spray paint...Oil Rubbed Bronze.  I'm pretty sure I couldn't live without this stuff. 
 The edges got a light distressing to show the dark undertones.

And the top (after two coats of dark walnut stain) got a got of dark wax, using Minwax Paste Wax.
 The base got a coat of Minwax Paste Wax in clear.
 I love how great this top turned out.
The clients were happy with the results and I hope the baby-to-be loves it to and enjoys it for many years to come!

Linking up with these fabulous ladies:

Photobucket

grabtt



 HomeHappyHome






6 comments:

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

Wow! It looks amazing! I'm glad you were able to do a piece for her as the transformation is incredible.

Have a great day.
Pam

Bliss said...

Good choice to do the top stained wood, looks great. I used an antique dresser for a changing table back before I knew anyone would think it was cool!

~Bliss~

Rasonda @ East Conolly Cottage said...

Oh I LOVE it girl!!! I am actually working on a two toned piece now so I may be asking for your advice. The top looks GORGEOUS!!

Unknown said...

It looks great. We've had that experience as well, went to redo a piece only to notice that thin layer.

I'm visiting from the Redoux party. I hope that you can stop by my blog as well. :)

Thanks for sharing,
Laura

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks like a much more quality piece now. not that it isn'y but i hope that makes sense- just much more high end! :)

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a unique piece! And you gave it a beautiful finish!