April 27, 2012

This Stuff Is for the Birds, Err, Dogs

Yay...the weekend has arrived!  I suppose that's good.  Unfortunately the hubby has to leave for six weeks, but at least I'll have my guard dog on duty! Speaking of the guard dog.  I did a little project this afternoon for Gauge (our little-bitty 85 pound puppy that shows his face on here periodically).

I should preface this my quoting myself about 15 years ago:  "Mom, who would want to collect children's chairs?  I just don't get it.  They don't even look cute.  I WILL NEVER collect something like that".  My Mom had a love for children's chairs.  I just didn't get it at the time.  Now I am EATING MY WORDS.  Who would have thought I, me, myself, moi, would be collecting children's chairs.  Well, they have grown on me over the years and now I love them...especially one with a good patina.  I'm sure my Mom is in heaven laughing a me and recalling the words I said to her back in the day!  Enjoy the laugh, Mom.

So, now here are two of the many children's chairs I have floating around the house. 



 I wanted to make Gauge a new food and water bowl station.  The little guy just seems annoyed that he has to reach his head all the way down to the floor to get his food; so, I figured, why not lift it up.  No, he's not spoiled...what would make you think that?  I started by buying two stainless bowls at Wal-Mart that had a rim on them.  I used a kitchen bowl that I had that matched the size of the top of the bowl (minus the rim, so the bowl would have something to rest on) and drew a circle on each chair.  I then drilled a hole in the circle (see on the middle right of the circle below) so that my c-rappy jig-saw would have a place to get started.
 Oh yeah, and wear goggles when using the jig-saw...especially if yours is a piece-of-junk-$3-garage-sale-find-that-vibrates-your-entire-body-when-you-use-it-jig-saw.  Don't be hating on the
 sexy glasses...you know you want some!
 Next, I used the jig-saw to cut out the hole I had previously traced, so the bowl would have a place to sit.
 I tested the bowl to make sure it would fit, and sure enough...it worked perfectly.
 The brown chair was a bit taller than the blue chair.  I wanted them mismatched on purpose, but wanted it to be a little closer to the height of the blue chair, so I used the circular saw and cut off and inch from each leg.
I sanded the edges where I had just cut to add back the worn look.
 I also sanded the rough edges the jig-saw left behind.
The chair was put together using dowels, but was a bit loose in one area, so I used wood glue and clamped it for a while just to make it a bit more sturdy.
 I waxed both of the chairs with my go-to wax.
 Here they are in their new home.  Gauge obviously like them okay...he already ate out of his bowl and he's licking his lips here.  **Updated:  I added felt stickers to the bottom of the feet and a small strip across the top of the back to protect the walls and floor.**
 I just love the farmhouse rustic old feel of these and he doesn't seem to mind it either.
 And just for kicks...I'll reminisce a bit and share some pics of the little guy over the years.  Here he is on the day we got him.
 Loving the snow.  He used to beg to sleep outside in this stuff.
Getting bigger and loving his daddy!!
 Aww, he loves his momma most!

The boy is a country dog...what can I say!?!


Linking up with these great parties:



{Primp}

grabtt







HomeHappyHome

Homespun Happenings

6 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

i LOVE this idea! we have two dogs and have to keep their bowls separate... jake is always trying to be stealthy and steal poor old charlie's food. this is a great idea and i could have them be separate still!

JENNY and ASHLEY said...

I Love this idea, I want to copy but my minpin couldn't reach even if I cut the legs off.....

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Looks like one happy dog to me! Great idea!

Katie said...

Seriously?! I love this! I love it even more that you left one wood and one blue! What a sweet pup! I'll be featuring you tomorrow!

http://craptastickatie.blogspot.com/

Tammy said...

This is such a great idea! The chairs are perfect. I love the that they are two different colors, and you use the blue one or water :) Thank you so much for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend!

Ivy & Co said...

i just read how your mom collected children's chairs. that's something I've just started doing. I think it's so neat! love the dog bowls :)