January 2, 2012

A Buffet Transformation

I wanted to share with you a few pictures of a buffet that was rescued from the side of the road that I refinished.  My neighbors and good friends, along with the postman and UPS delivery guy, know that I pay a finder's fee for furniture they spot on the side of the road.  They call me and tell me where it is...if it's something I can use/sell, I pick it up and pay them a finder's fee.  It's a win-win for all parties involved.  So, my wonderful neighbor spotted this beauty, err...not so beautiful at the time, on the side of the road a few blocks from our house.  She called me and warned me that it was in bad shape, but I decided to take a look...solid wood, good lines...I couldn't pass it up.

Unfortunately, it wasn't in the best cosmetic condition and it was missing a door and some hardware, but I knew I could do something, so I loaded it up in my Envoy (which by the way holds more furniture than you can possibly imagine) and hauled it home.  Sorry, I don't have a before pic...just imagine a really bad version of this.  Scratched to pieces, missing parts, etc.  It didn't have the door on the right and it didn't have the hardware on the top middle drawer.  So, I took the existing door off from the left, and used that hardware for the top middle drawer.  I made some curtains to go where the doors would have been.  I used the little metal curtain rods from Lowe's that are held up by tension...those babies are pretty strong.

The whole piece got a coat of primer and coat of paint (Benjamin Moore) and a very, very heavy distressed look.  Finished off with a coat of Minwax Paste Wax in Natural color.  Here it is all finished:




I took this to my booth at DeFrance Antiques and Collectibles and it was gone in about a week.  These are my favorite kind of finds and especially the right price!!!  What kind of side of the road transformations have you done or had in mind lately?

I'm linking up to the following:

4 comments:

Maddie Richardson - A Lifestyle Blog said...

I love what you have done with this Buffet!! Great job... I need to learn how to weather white furniture like that... gorgeous! I am popping over from the Miss Mustard Seed linky party :)

The Midwest Cottage said...

very very cute

angie said...

I LOVE THIS! gotta keep my open for something like this

Tasha said...

Oh my! I must say this may be my favorite piece so far!!! LOVE! I also got an old buffet off the side of the road last year...It's just hanging out in my dining room like it is...but as soon as I finish my talbe and chairs...bring on the buffet!