January 26, 2012

Suitcase Table

Happy Thursday Blog Friends! The week is nearly over and wowzers it has flown by fast.  I've got a pretty short post for you today.  This one is an easy transformation of a suitcase into a side table.  I got this adorable old Hartman suitcase at a thrift store for $10.00 and found the old luggage rack on the side of the road.

People always tell me (even right here in the town I live in) that I'm just lucky because they never find "good" stuff on the side of the road.  I'm here to tell you that I would have to disagree.  I think the key to it is always have an open eye for this sort of thing while driving and for me, the way I find most of my curbside treasures is by simply taking different routes.  When I'm going to work or to the grocery store (or anywhere really), I try to take a different route, even if it's just a couple different streets.  It's amazing how many things I find by doing this.  I suppose having no shame helps as well.  For those of you who wait until "dark, so no-one will see you"...guess what??  You're losing out to people like me.  Be proud of your finds and pick them up with pride!

Alrighty, on to what you're here for...the transformation of the suitcase/luggage rack/table/stand/storage thingy.  Here it is once I completed it.  My Dad was visiting and helped put this together, but I'm telling you - it's EASY!

To get started, I used saddle soap to clean up the suitcase exterior and used paste wax to seal and protect the base (old wood luggage rack).


I set the suitcase on the open rack to determine the best layout and simply put 4 screws through the inside bottom of the suitcase (yep, I went right through the liner) and into the wood luggage rack below.

Oh, and just in case you think I always look like I did in the breathing mask picture the other day...here's proof that I don't always wear that huge pink face accessory...blurry, I know, but I don't really have too many pics of myself to go with here.

Here's the finished product, along with my little sidekick hanging out in the background.  This piece is currently for sale at Smith's Antiques in Destin, FL.  So, what have you repurposed lately?  I'd love to hear about your projects.


 I'm linking up at:

3 comments:

angie said...

Great find! I just love finding things on the side of the road. My friend and I walk every morning and I'm always checking out the alleys as we go by.

Alissa@CraftyEndeavor said...

This is sooooo cool. I love it, and I'm pinning it.

chateau chic said...

What a great idea. I love it!!
Your newest follower, Mary Alice Hop on over for a visit when you get a chance.